Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bulls, Books, and Body Building

I can't believe it's already the end of my third week in Salamanca! I've even had a test already (got an A). It was incredibly easy, though; We just had to identify similes and metaphors for the most part. I have a grammar test Wednesday, though, that I am a bit more stressed about. Hopefully I will do as well!

Last Friday I went to a bullfight. It was horrible! The matadors poke at the bull and stab it. In the end, the main matador kills it and cuts off its ears. Then two men on horses attach it to the horses and drag it around the ring. They do this with 6 bulls each night! My friends and I could only stay for two bulls. I asked my host mom about the bullfighting, and she said she enjoyed them! She understood why I wanted to leave, and although it's controversial even in Spain, it's incredibly popular in Salamanca. After the bull gets killed, everyone in the stadium stands up and waves a white handkerchief (or whatever wave-able white object they have). It was definitely interesting, but I have no desire to ever go back to one again.



Here are some pictures of the bullfighting. The bottom picture is of Erica, Amelia, and me standing outside the bullfighting ring.

The other day while I was on my run with my friends, we ran into some free workout equipment! At first glance it looks like a jungle gym, but really it's a place to work out your muscles! There are no weights, but most of them use your body resistance, so you actually feel like you're working something. We saw some old people working the machines, and they used them so normally that clearly this park is not abnormal to them. Of course, my friends and I thought they were hilarious and had a fun time trying them out and taking pictures.


The outside gym!

The other day Carlos, one of the program directors, and Sarah, the assistant director, gave us a tour around the old University of Salamanca. It was really lovely! We got to see some of the original classrooms and the library. The university was founded in the 1200s, so the building is incredibly old!


The old library in the university! Unfortunately, you can't walk around because they don't want anyone touching the antique books. We stood behind a glass window.



Here is the entrance to the university!


An old courtyard where they used to hold classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment